Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Tale of 2 Brews




At the recent Okanagan Fest of Ale I had the pleasure of being an official Judge along with Alan Moen from Northwest Brewing Magazine and tried about 80 different brews in styles ranging from Kolsch to Porter and everything in between. As always there were some standouts and some dissapointments but the winners tend to rise to the top and Central City's ESB was a clear favorite along with Vancouver Island's Herman's Dark Lager 2 distinctly different but well crafted beers. I noticed this morning that the ESB was also best at the world beer competition as well, it is good to see we were not the only ones who liked it. Reading through the results this morning I was struck by the number of breweries from the USA that I had not been aware of it is great to know that every trip south I make there will be new styles and brews to sample.
I spent some time talking to the guys from Sin City Brewing in Vegas 2 weeks ago while sampling there product. I thought we had weird laws in BC but Nevada takes the cake they brew their beer at a Coors plant and have to buy it back from themselves to sell it at their outlets in Vegas. Hasn't stopped them from producing some tasty products, I really liked their Heffeweisen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment