Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Back To School

Fall is always a good time to go back to school so I am taking my WSET 3 advanced. It is truly humbling to realize how little you actually know. This is 6 full days of class exploring all facets of both viticulture and wine making as well as a comprehensive breakdown of all of the major wine regions of the world. Toss in 16 to 18 blind tastings per class and you can imagine the scope of it.

So what have I learned so far, first Terroir is probably the most important factor in making wine interesting not necessarily better just adding a sense of place to the wine. I am most amazed that when you use a systematic approach to each wine that you taste you can figure out using the presumed flavors colors and terroir influences what the wine you are tasting is. Lastly when tasting old world wines quality tends to follow price more closely than some of our local vintages.
 These are pretty simple but profound truisms that impressed me so far but there are many other little things that are probably equally as important and will help me evaluate whats in the glass with a much more critical eye.


If you are thinking of taking one of these courses I can highly recommend Rhys Pender MW. from WinePlus+ his Knowledge and easy teaching style makes these courses more than worth the money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment