Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A New Perspective

This past weekend was the Okanagan Fest of Ale in Penticton an event that I have Judged for the last 5 years. This year I rejoined the board of directors for this event and took on the role of judging chair. I also ended up putting my name on the liquor license which meant a sober weekend at the event for me. I think that this is the first time I have attended this event and not consumed any product at all.We found 5 great judges headed up by Alan Moen from Northwest Brewing News and rounded out by Joe Weibe, Jim Martin, Robert Trent and Marty Campbell as well as a Member of the public who won a radio contest to judge for a day. We allowed each brewery to enter 1 of 8 self declared categories of beer or cider and held a blind tasting to determine the category winners by score. After we had the winners the 5 pros debated which brew would receive best of show 4 of the 8 quickly rose to the top and after a lively debate Stag apple Scotch Ale from Tin Whistle Brewing was chosen as best of show
Between running judging and paying the bands it was an eye opener to watch the room and how the flow and interactions were working. I can report that it is a well coordinated effort from a great team of board members and volunteers that make it happen. I find it interesting how many people are genuinely looking to try and find new beers and improve their knowledge of beer in general. The brewers gladly impart their considerable knowledge tell stories and make the public have a great beer experience.
Who knows maybe I will never drink at another festival.
(Don't believe a word of the last sentence.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment